Tax Apprentice - Business Tax
At Smith & Williamson we recruit high calibre people with the skills, knowledge and commitment to meet the demands of the business. The Apprenticeship Programme is a structured training programme combining practical experience with technical studies, as well as providing numerous opportunities to increase your skill set with internal courses ranging from personal impact and negotiation skills to time management to delivering presentations.
Our business tax team provides tax and consulting services to a wide range of companies, from quoted multinational groups to owner-managed businesses. Our tax advice is designed to meet our clients' agreed commercial objectives considering all relevant taxes, not only corporation tax. We provide practical advice, we regularly negotiate with HM Revenue & Customs and members of our team sit on a number of leading professional and industry committees.
What will I be doing?
We believe that hands-on experience is key to creating well-rounded trusted business advisers. As part of our business tax team you'll work alongside senior tax professionals with a range of expertise, this means you'll be doing real work from the outset.
Duties of the Tax Apprentice role are as follows:
- Preparation of corporation tax computations and returns (CT600s)
- General compliance including keeping records of tax payments, advising clients of key filing and payment dates and communicating with the HM Revenue & Customs where necessary
- Preparing billing analysis of work completed and draft fee notes to clients
- Assist with research assignments and drafting technical documentation
- Assisting other group members in professional work and providing support where required
What training and development will I receive in my first few years?
Alongside your work and internal training courses you will receive first-class professional training as you study for the Certificate in Finance, Accounting and Business (CFAB) and Associate Chartered Accountant (ACA) qualifications.
To be successful in this role you will:
- Be committed and motivated to studying towards the CFAB and ACA qualifications
- Be able to deliver first class client service and work effectively as part of a team
- Demonstrate an ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing
- Be well organised and have the ability to prioritise your own workload
- Have a high level of general commercial awareness
- Take a diligent and efficient approach to work
- Demonstrate a professional and polite approach
- 280 UCAS points (or equivalent) in your top three A-levels (excluding General Studies)
- GCSE English and maths (or equivalent) at a minimum of grade B
Don't forget to mention TARGETcareers when contacting employers!