Apprenticeship - OPENREACH - IT Software, Web & Telecoms Professional Level 3 - Field Engineer
Our mission is to break down the barriers of today to release the potential of tomorrow. Join us today and release yours.
What you'll be doing
Field Engineers – Openreach NI
Openreach NI engineers have diverse backgrounds, with varied experiences. We're looking for engineers with an ability to connect with people, and a willingness to get stuck in. There's no such thing as a typical Openreach engineer.
Don't be put off from applying because you haven't done something similar before - we have the best training in the business to equip you with the new skills you need. If you're the type of person who likes fixing problems and is passionate about customer service, then we want you to apply. We're ready to provide you with a world class training experience. You just need to be customer focused, and be willing to get stuck in.
Our apprenticeships are designed so they offer a structured programme that develops the skills that you need to excel. Along the way there are targets and checks to make sure you are supported and are making progress.
We're looking for people who are:
- Able to make a connection with our customers in their workplaces and homes.
- Happy working outdoors. Whether it's glorious sunshine or bracing the NI weather, our engineers are out connecting people.
- Open to new technology. Nothing too scary and we will always support you, but you need to be comfortable using smart devices and ready to learn as new tools emerge.
- Ready to give your best. The sort of person who always sees a job through and takes pride in doing it properly.
- Physically fit. You don't need to be a marathon runner, but will need to be fit enough to safely climb a telephone pole and carry a ladder.
- Prepared to roll up your sleeves. Working in the great outdoors on our network means getting your hands dirty from time to time.
What does an engineer do?
As one of our engineers you could be responsible for building our network, or installing and maintaining broadband for our customers – covering residential customers as well as businesses on behalf of a variety of communication providers.
This isn’t an office job so you won’t be tied to one location. Instead you’ll be on the road, in your van and out in the fresh air. You’ll be visiting lots of different places and working in all kinds of buildings including our telephone exchanges – our central hubs for connecting customers. You might find yourself working at a street cabinet, up a telegraph pole or in the customers’ premises. The type of work you’ll be carrying out will be physical, for example you might be required to climb a telegraph pole and work at height.
This is a customer focused role so quite a lot of the work is done alone, but you’re never really alone as you’ll be interacting with customers, getting together with your team and there’s always people for support at the end of the phone - from your manager and team mates to dedicated teams there to help.
- A minimum of four GCSEs at grades 4 – 9 (GCSE C or above) including English Language and Maths.
- A full driving licence with no more than six points
- To meet our safety requirements by showing you can recognise a range of colours.
We value different perspectives, skills and experiences. We’re creating an inclusive working culture where people from all backgrounds can succeed. That’s why we welcome applications from all parts of the community.
Don't forget to mention TARGETcareers when contacting employers!