Advisory - School Leaver Programme
BDO. Because relationships matter.
BDO LLP is one of the UK’s largest accountancy and business advisory firms providing services to ambitious businesses within the UK and worldwide. With more than 3,500 talented people, generating close to £400m in UK revenues, we bring real leadership across the mid-market. We are a member of BDO International, the world’s fifth largest global accountancy network, which has more than 1,260 offices worldwide, spread across 147 countries. We are a profitable, dynamic and forward-looking firm with a reputation for quality. Our ambition is to be the leader for exceptional client service.
At BDO you can be yourself - we value you as an individual and want you to realize your aspirations. You have a voice and your opinion counts. We give you the challenge and support you need and you are able to shape your own career according to your strengths, skills and personality. Working at BDO enhances your professional development at all stages of your career. Few firms offer the same breadth and quality of work, responsibility and experience. We recognize and reward your high performance and you have the opportunity to excel, progress and share in our success. We are clear on what we expect from you and what you can expect in return.
Being at BDO is personally as well as professionally fulfilling. Relationships matter, and we have a friendly and inclusive culture built around our core values of honesty and integrity; empowerment and personal responsibility; mutual support and respect; and professional and personal client relationships.
As businesses grow, so do the challenges they face. BDO’s advisory services help our clients to meet these challenges at every stage of their life cycle. Such key events might include buying a new business, or exiting one in order to extract maximum value. A business might run into financial difficulties – we can help there too, stepping in to stabilise and restructure the organisation. We have other advisers who specialise in resolving legal disputes with a financial dimension (this is called Forensic accounting) or in fighting fraud. A company may wish to expand internationally, float on a stock exchange, manage its risk or achieve specific long-term objectives – our advisory streams provide expert support in all these areas and more.
Our advisors are drawn from a variety of multidisciplinary backgrounds, allowing us to deliver insightful, innovative solutions – no matter the challenge, no matter the need.
Advisory contains many different streams and, if successful, you could be working in one of the below areas amongst others:
- Business Restructuring
- Technology Advisory
- Global Outsourcing
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Transaction Services
- Management Consulting
Opportunities are available nationwide. We look to accommodate your first or second preference for office location but this will depend on demand and business needs.
Should you gain a place on our Advisory School Leaver Programme you will spend 5 years studying and working towards your professional qualification. Firstly, this will be either the AAT or CFAB. Once you have obtained the initial qualification you will go on to study towards either the ACA, CFA, CIMA or PRINCE2 qualification. The qualifications you study towards will be tied to the stream of Advisory that you join.
Business Area Overview
- Understanding and documenting the systems relevant to the audited financial statements
- Documenting transaction processes, internal controls and testing to confirm the accuracy of your understanding
- Performing analysis and generating audit evidence using our technology based tools
- Active engagement with client staff in the gathering of appropriate audit evidence
- Ensure compliance with internal (audit methodology and risk management) and external (regulatory) requirements
- Preparation of Accountant’s Reports for a large number of properties managed by our clients, leading players in the property management sector
- Undertaking independent reviews of annual expenditure, similar in nature to an audit
- Assisting in providing outsourced accounting services to other clients; and
- Preparation of statutory accounts for other clients of the firm
- Support advisory projects on both buy-side and sell-side
- Support the corporate finance team in the performance of 'hands on' field work
- Prepare reports, information memoranda and documents using Word and PowerPoint
- Prepare financial models using Excel
- Identify and understand client needs, including sometimes providing initial solutions to client challenges, then communicating these needs and solutions to the senior members within the team
- Build strong relationships with new and established clients and within the team
- Carry out ad hoc assignments as may be reasonably required by your group
- Participate in group, stream and firm wide activities
In line with our 2017 Trainee Programme entry requirements for our School Leaver Programme candidates must have, or be on course for the following grades (or international equivalent):
3 A levels at grades A*- C, excluding General Studies and Extended Projects
Received A* - C at GCSE in Maths & English Language