Software Engineering Apprenticeship - 2017
About the role
We are looking for a Software Engineering Apprentice to join the team within our Rail business based in Derby. This role with give you the opportunity to work for a market leading company, whilst gaining valuable skills and experience to ensure you develop to your full potential throughout the apprenticeship.
What you'll be doing
About the role:
As a Software Engineer Apprentice you will contribute to software projects within Balfour Beatty Rail Technologies by undertaking analysis, design, and development activities in line with the business software development process, software quality plans, and all other internal quality processes.
You will also contribute to the development of robust maintainable software for projects allocated by the business.
What you’ll be doing:
- Assist in the development of a product or service which meets a specification agreed with the relevant work manager
- To assist in the production of documentation to support each part of the delivery process
- To support the full project lifecycle as required from requirements capture through to final testing.
- To agree any changes to plan and resources with relevant project manager
- To work alongside software developers for the purpose of analysis, design, development and testing of allocated software deliverable.
- To assist in the on-going provision of technical support for existing products or services
- To provide second line support to users as required.
Who we're looking for
- 5 GCSEs A*-C in Maths, ICT (Information and Communication Technology ) and English or equivalent grades
- A keen interest in Technical and Engineering pursuits within the Rail Industry
- Appreciation of software development and testing practices
- To be able to work with Word, Excel and other MS applications.
- The ability to prioritise workload
- To be able to communicate with a range of different people
- Undertake personal training and development as required in order to build own skills, knowledge and competence.
- You will have a have a friendly, flexible approach to your working day and a willingness to work with and support colleagues
- To understand the importance of Health & Safety and how it fits into your role and the wider business.
Why work for us
We offer a competitive salary and a flexible benefits package. Your professional institution fees and training will be covered.
Balfour Beatty Rail Limited is an international leader in rail infrastructure engineering projects and the UK's largest rail engineering and services provider. We offer a full range of rail infrastructure activities from high-speed rail to mass rapid transit, covering urban, rural and commuter routes, for both public and private railways.
Closing Date: 2nd May 2017