Civil Engineering Degree Apprentice 2017
About the role
You will follow a training programme as part of our ICE-accredited Degree Apprenticeship, geared towards you achieving Incorporated Engineer status. Depending on project requirements, you will be site or office based.
Our aim is to develop your skills and to help you reach your full potential. As your programme progresses you will have increased responsibility in the dimensional control of projects, supervision of specialist contractors and the construction workforce and will take the lead for solving technical problems.
Throughout you will ensure compliance with our Health and Safety and Sustainability agenda and aspire to a site, Construction or Project Management career.
- Locations: Cheadle, Solihull, Cambridge, Reading, Coventry, Sellafield, Derby, Basingstoke and London
- Business Units: We have roles available in our Construction Services, Major Projects and Gas & Water businesses
What you'll be doing
- To ensure that safe systems of work are in place on site and that all staff adhere to them
- To translate design information to construction teams so they can construct the project effectively and efficiently
- To manage the productivity on the site so that the project is completed on time
- To ensure that the project is completed to the specification and quality needed by the client
- To manage the activity on site in a way that adheres to cost and contract constraints
- To ensure that the site has minimal negative impact on the environment and community
- To manage interfaces between stakeholders associated with the project
- Develop an understanding of construction skills, terminology and methodology
You will attend college and university on a day or block release basis during the Apprenticeship.
The typical duration for this apprenticeship is six years but this may depend on your previous experience and qualifications. The apprenticeship will be split into two 3 year stages
Who we're looking for
- Minimum of five GCSE’s (or equivalent) at grades A-C including Maths, English and Science, with a B in Maths
- Minimum 3 A-levels, HNC or equivalent at grades A-C including Maths, Science or Engineering
- Pass pre-employment medical which will include a Drug & Alcohol test
The following qualifications will be gained:
- BEng (Hons) Civil Engineering
- Industry certificates in Site Supervisors’ Safety Training Scheme, Site Managers’ Safety Training Scheme and Site Environmental Awareness Training Scheme
- Engineering Technician status and Technician Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers
- Incorporated Engineer status and Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers
As well as strong numeracy and well-developed team and People Skills, you have the passion and enthusiasm to keep the momentum going on a project. You will be able to set the pace as well as the standards for the team. You will also have the ability to describe what interests and motivates you to the construction industry.
Why work for us
We offer a competitive salary, flexible benefits package and a travel allowance if applicable to the role. Your professional institution fees will be covered.
We are the UK’s largest construction and infrastructure business. Each day our projects change people’s lives and communities for the better. We built the famous London Aquatic Centre and you’ll find our mark in all kinds of infrastructure like schools and hospitals, major roads, rail and power networks. Each year we seek the best apprentices to come and join our ever changing business.
Closing date – 2nd May 2017
Civil Engineering Degree Apprentice JD