About the scheme
As an Engineering Higher Apprentice with BAE Systems, you will be working with a team of highly skilled, dedicated employees and fellow apprentices from across ourNaval Ships business. You’ll be part of a team that designs and builds the full range of complex surface ships for navies around the world.
Working towards both practical and academic targets, this competency based a programme takes up to four years to complete, building on your technical skills, knowledge and transferable skills.
You’ll be earning a salary from day one, gaining real work experience and working towards qualifications at the same time.
What you’ll need
To apply as an Engineering Technician Higher Apprentice for Naval Ships you’ll require;
- Five GCSEs at Grade A-C / 9-4 (or equivalent) including Maths, English and Double Science
- 3 A Levels (Grade A-C) to include Mathematics, Science or Technology subjects, OR a Level 3 BTEC Diploma (Merit or above) in an Engineering, Science or IT discipline.
You'll be able to demonstrate a level of hands on practical aptitude and will have good team working and communication skills. Applicants will also be expected to be medically fit as deemed necessary to perform the role, be eligible to work in the UK and be able to successfully achieve security clearance. As a company committed to talent, we welcome applications from a diverse range of people, from all backgrounds and with many different skills, experience and perspectives.
At the end of the four year Engineering Higher Apprenticeship, you will become an Detail Designer. You will have obtained an NVQ level 4 extended diploma in Advanced Manufacturing, having developed a range of practical skills and gained invaluable knowledge & work experience.
As a Detail Designer you will specialise in one of three disciplines, Electrical, Mechanical or Structures. You can go on to gain Technician or Incorporated Engineering professional registration status.
We encourage and support you to realise your potential. You’ll have the opportunity to learn from colleagues who are experts in their field, and gain insights that can only come from real world experience.
At the end you of the apprenticeship, you'll have had a good mix of learning experiences to ensure you develop the skills that will support you in the future.
- Competitive starting salary (c. £17,000) with annual increases based on your performance and achievements. On completion a salary of c. £30,000 will be realised
- Pension scheme
- Car lease, childcare, mobile phone contracts and share schemes
- 25 days' holiday per year
- Tailored induction
- Opportunity for further studies
If your application is successful, there are three more stages before you can be accepted onto the scheme:
1. Aptitude test
2. Assessment Centre including interview
3. Medical and security checks
Top tip: Be sure you give yourself enough time to prepare a quality application; it is worth spending some time to make sure all areas of the form are completed fully and properly. Good luck with your application.