Broadcast Engineering Degree Apprenticeship (Level 6)
Arqiva is a leading UK communications infrastructure company enabling a vibrant digital economy. We’re the people behind the scenes who make connections happen. We help millions of voices to reach billions of eyes and ears through TV, radio and mobile. And we work with everyone from utility companies to independent radio groups and major broadcasters, such as the BBC, ITV and BskyB. Every day our infrastructure and associated services enable millions of people and machines to connect wherever they are through TV, radio, mobile and machine-to-machine data services. Our advanced networks support the huge growth of connected devices and the ever-increasing demand for data from smartphones to tablets through to connected TVs and smart meters.
Our Media Networks team enables Arqiva’s broadcast customers to deliver their content (TV, radio or on-demand0 to wherever people are watching or listening using Satellite, Fibre or Microwave Networks. This means we are responsible for delivering technical broadcast solutions & requirements for customers using BBC; ITV, CH4, CH5 as well as on Satellite platforms such as Discovery, NBC, Comedy Central or using Digital Radio Services.
This is an exciting opportunity to gain engineering and project management experience within the broadcast and media industry while being supported in your study towards a degree apprenticeship. Our team will support you in developing your understanding of engineering and you will have the opportunity to undertake short secondments to other teams to gain a broader understanding and appreciation of the teams with which we collaborate and how our work complements their work.
Working in this team would involve the following activities:
- Working alongside with the Project Manager to ensure projects are delivered on time, within the right budget and to the right standard
- Designing, implementing & testing of the key project deliverables which will include development and testing of bespoke and Common off-the-Shelf (COTS)
- software/hardware for Broadcast, IP Network, IOT (Internet of Things) or corporate application depending on the technical area of expertise
- Learning about and understanding the processes, standards and engineering practices related to monitoring and controlling (M&C) Software Defined Networks & Virtualisation
- Contributing where required to the design and costing process for new customer projects
- Working alongside the design engineers to design and implement projects throughout the UK
- Designing Radio and TV Broadcast systems by integrating a range of technologies
- As part of a multidisciplinary technical team, designing the required solution for the customer
- Attending the design review meetings to clearly understand how a robust design is signed off
- Assisting in the production of Method Statements to enable the safe implementation of the project
- Becoming familiar with the Project Management process as well as the process for handing over the design from our design teams to our operational department
- Writing, following and executing clear method statements for work in area of expertise
- Carrying out technical tasks without supervision
- Aspiring to become a Subject Matter Expert within the team
- Engaging with the customer & the wider engineering teams within Arqiva as required
- Working to the Arqiva values of being collaborative, ingenious & straightforward in delivering solutions to our customers & the business
Our Degree Apprenticeship Programme
This is an exciting opportunity to combine university study with real work-based experience and learning to enable you to gain a full BEng (Hons) in Broadcast and Communications Engineering.
We run our Degree Apprenticeship Programme in partnership with Birmingham City University and, given you will have paid employment status, you will not pay any training costs or student fees.
This programme has been specifically designed with specialist employers in this area including Arqiva, the BBC, ITV, BT Group and Sky, and covers all aspects of TV, radio and media from capturing content to distributing it to users. The course will provide you with a varied skillset, preparing you for the ever-changing world of broadcast and media, equipping you with the skills you’ll need for a successful career in a fast-moving and dynamic industry.
The course is delivered over 3 years via a block-based learning structure, which means you will spend 2 semesters per year at university alongside your fellow degree apprentices and with full accommodation support from Arqiva. You will also attend an induction course to gain an introduction to our business and our broadcasting infrastructure and attend other relevant technical training required specifically in your role. Outside of these teaching blocks you will able to put your learning into practice in the live working environment.
This role will be based at our vibrant campus, Crawley Court which is located approximately 6 miles from Winchester city centre. Whilst not essential, a driving licence would be advantageous for this position.
What you will need
- 3 A levels (or equivalent) at grade BBC (112 UCAS points); including Maths at Grade C or above. Science or technology subjects desirable
- 5 GCSEs including Maths and English at Grade C or 4/5
- A genuine interest in the Media Services & Broadcasting industry
- Excellent communication skills as this role will involve speaking to a wide range of stakeholders.
- Willingness to learn and embrace new challenges.
- All applications must be made online.
- Our application process follows 4 stages;
- Online application form
- Online test (numerical reasoning)
- Telephone interview - Approximately 30 minutes with competency-based questions focused on Arqiva values and the role requirements
- Assessment centre - These will take place April – May 2020 at our Crawley Court campus just outside Winchester and comprising an interview, group exercise, presentation, a tour of our offices and a chance to meet our team.
- This role will close on Sunday 31st May at 11:59pm.
Please ensure you apply in enough time before the deadline as applications will be screened on an ongoing basis.
Should you have any queries regarding this role, please contact us.
Don't forget to mention TARGETcareers when contacting employers!