Apprentice Operational Security Engineer (Level 5)
Arqiva is a leading UK communications infrastructure company enabling a vibrant digital economy. We’re the people behind the scenes who make connections happen. We help millions of voices to reach billions of eyes and ears through TV, radio and mobile. And we work with everyone from utility companies to independent radio groups and major broadcasters, such as the BBC, ITV and BskyB. Every day our infrastructure and associated services enable millions of people and machines to connect wherever they are through TV, radio, mobile and machine-to-machine data services. Our advanced networks support the huge growth of connected devices and the ever-increasing demand for data from smartphones to tablets through to connected TVs and smart meters.
Our Media Networks team enables Arqiva’s broadcast customers to deliver their content (TV, radio or on-demand0 to wherever people are watching or listening using Satellite, Fibre or Microwave Networks. This means we are responsible for delivering technical broadcast solutions & requirements for customers using BBC; ITV, CH4, CH5 as well as on Satellite platforms such as Discovery, NBC, Comedy Central or using Digital Radio Services.
The role will be a part of the Security Operations team, under the Media Networks Business Unit of Arqiva. The Security Operations team works with cutting edge security and are responsible for all the Security Systems within Arqiva. We protect Arqiva against unauthorised access and attacks.
This team is responsible for keeping Arqiva “Securely On Air.” As such, working in this critical role, you will have the opportunity to learn first-hand about security concepts from a highly specialised team. You will have insight to all sorts of connectivity requests and design implementations where you will be involved in building the security solution. Our team is responsible for assessing and mitigating security issues not just for the Network Management Centres but also for Arqiva users and customers.
Key responsibilities include;
- In-depth troubleshooting of Security issues
- Involvement in security design across the wider Arqiva business
- Security implementations, in-life management, enhancements
- Scan Analysis to find security weakness
- Apprenticeship Training
This is an exciting opportunity to combine study with real work-based experience and learning to enable you to gain a Level 5 Apprenticeship in Broadcast and Communications Engineering. Given you will have paid employment status, you will not pay any training costs or tuition fees.
This programme has been specifically designed with specialist employers in this area including Arqiva, the BBC, ITV, BT Group and Sky, and covers all aspects of TV, radio and media systems from capturing content to distributing it to users. The course will provide you with a varied skillset, preparing you for the ever-changing world of broadcast and media, equipping you with the skills you'll need for a successful career.
Our programme is delivered over 3 years via a block-based learning structure, which means you will spend up to 14 weeks per year at college alongside your fellow apprentices and with full accommodation support from Arqiva whilst at college. You will also attend an Induction course to gain an introduction to our business and our broadcasting infrastructure and attend other relevant technical training required specifically by your role. Outside of these training blocks, you will be able to put your learning into practice in the live working environment.
This role will be based at our vibrant campus, Crawley Court which is located approximately 6 miles from Winchester city centre. There may be an occasional need to travel to other sites so a driving licence would be an advantage.
What we are looking for
- Minimum of 2 A Levels (or equivalent) at Grade C (64 UCAS points); one of which should be Maths, Science or a Technical subject
- 5 GSCEs including Maths and English at Grade C or 4/5
- Ability to work with a high level of attention to detail, analysing scans to identify security weaknesses
- Ability to demonstrate problem solving skills
- Good communication skills (both written and verbal)
- A genuine interest in media services and broadcasting and the security implications/ challenges which face the industry
- Eagerness and willingness to learn and develop in the role.
All applications must be made online.
Our application process follows 4 stages;
- Online application form
- Online test (numerical reasoning)
- Telephone interview
- Approximately 30 minutes with competency-based questions focused on Arqiva values and the role requirements
- Assessment centre
- These will take place April – May 2020 at our Crawley Court campus just outside Winchester and comprising an interview, group exercise, presentation, a tour of our offices and a chance to meet our team
- This role will close on Sunday 31st May at 11:59pm.
Please ensure you apply in enough time before the deadline as applications will be screened on an ongoing basis.
Should you have any queries regarding this role, please contact us.
Don't forget to mention TARGETcareers when contacting employers!