What should I study at uni for a career in the emergency services?

What should I study at uni if I want a career in the emergency services?
Do you need a degree for a career in the ambulance, fire or police services, or for a career in emergency planning? Find out what subjects to apply for.

Quick links for this article

Ambulance service Police force Fire and rescue service Emergency planning

You don’t necessarily need to be a graduate to have a career in the emergency services, though depending on the area you choose to work in, a degree may be either a requirement or an advantage.

What should I study at university if I want a career in the ambulance service?

If you want to work as a paramedic you’ll need either to get a student paramedic position with an ambulance service trust or to do an approved course in paramedic science at university. Student paramedic posts are increasingly rare, so university study is more likely to be your way in. Find out more about student paramedic positions from our advice on getting into working for the emergency services without a degree.

Course entry requirements vary, but you’re likely to need at least five GSCEs, including English, maths and/or a science, plus at least two A levels. You’ll also need a full manual driving licence. The minimum level of qualification you’ll need to work unsupervised as a paramedic is a diploma in higher education, but many courses are foundation or BSc degrees. Some can be taken part-time and all include plenty of work experience. You can find out more about what you need to do to become a paramedic from our advice on how to get into a career with the emergency services.

What should I study at university if I want a career in the police force?

There are no specific subject requirements for graduates applying to join the police and the main entry route is the same for graduates as for non-graduates.

You might be interested in subjects such as law, criminology or sociology, but as long as you meet the criteria, your choice of course won’t make a difference to your chance of success. There are also some specific policing degrees available, though these do not guarantee entry to the force.

What should I study at university if I want to work for the fire and rescue service?

You don’t need to be a graduate to become a firefighter, so if you’re planning to go to university and want to join the fire and rescue service afterwards, you don’t need to take account of any recruitment requirements when choosing your course.

There are some relevant degree courses available that have been devised in partnership with local fire services. However, these do not guarantee you a job in the fire and rescue service.

What should I study at university if I want a career in emergency planning?

If you want a career in emergency planning, you’re likely to need either a relevant degree or substantial experience in a related area such as the fire or ambulance service. University courses vary in focus and go by different names, covering areas such as disaster management, civil protection, business continuity and resilience as well as emergency planning. You may find that studying geography and/or a science subject at A level will help you to get a university place. Postgraduate qualifications are also available.

Search for...

Degree Explorer

The Degree Explorer helps you plan for your future! Match your interests to university subjects and explore each recommendation to find out what suits you.

Get started

Teacher or parent?

Join our mailing list to receive monthly newsletters from our TARGETcareers and Inspiring Futures teams to help you support your school leavers in their career and university decision making.