Computer & Systems Management
Web developers are a type of software developer. They specialise in using web technologies, which they use to create websites and web applications (website components that carry out a function for the user, such as email, instant messaging, online banking and online retail).
Web developers are different to web designers, who focus more on designing the user interface of websites and web applications.
Responsibilities of a web developer include:
- discussing clients' requirements and proposed solutions with a senior developer (for developers at mid-skill level and below)
- implementing new designs
- using development tools to write and test code to develop solutions
- applying off-page SEO (search engine optimisation)
- managing and uploading website content
Personal Qualities and Skills
Key skills for web developers
- Mathematical aptitude and strong problem-solving skills
- Excellent organisational and time management skills
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- An understanding of the latest web trends and their role in a commercial environment
- Teamwork skills, because most projects require input from individuals with different roles
- Self-development skills to keep up to date with fast-changing trends
Pay And Opportunities
Typical employers of web developers
- website design and development companies
- digital marketing agencies
- the government
- any organisation that has its own website
Jobs are advertised online, by careers services and by recruitment agencies.
Qualifications and training required
There are routes into web development for both graduates and school leavers. Graduates with a degree in computer science, software development or similar are preferred for many junior web developer roles but it possible to find a graduate web developer job whatever your degree background, as long as you have some practical knowledge of web development processes and languages.
Apprenticeships in web development are available. Applicants with some understanding of programming languages are likely to be favoured.