Advertising account planner
Advertising & Marketing
- developing ideas and pinpointing business problems
- analysing and interpreting a variety of information
- commissioning external qualitative and quantitative research
- keeping up-to-date with cultural/social trends and customers' views and attitudes
- undertaking qualitative research activities
- making presentations to clients and agency staff
- evaluating campaign effectiveness
- analysing sales data
Advertising account managers need enthusiasm, stamina, determination and perseverance to succeed – particularly because graduate training places attract a lot of competition. Once you get there though, the rewards are great. You could be earning anything from around £18,000 up to £120,000 a year.
Personal Qualities and Skills
Key skills for advertising account planners
- Possessing confidence and good interpersonal skills
- Teamworking abilities
- Presentation and verbal communication skills
- Commercial awareness
- The ability to cope with pressure
- Effective analytical and organisational abilities
Pay And Opportunities
Typical employers of advertising account planners
Advertising account planners are employed by large national and international advertising companies, direct marketing companies and independent creative and media agencies. Jobs will typically be with advertising agencies, or in media advertising departments. Most jobs are located in London and major UK and international cities. Vacancies are advertised online, by recruitment agencies, in national newspapers and in publications such as Campaign, The Drum, Marketing, Media Week, and Marketing Week.
Qualifications and training required
There are routes into advertising account planning for both university graduates and school leavers.
A degree in any subject is acceptable for entry into the profession, although journalism, psychology, business studies, communications, media studies, marketing or management graduates may be preferred.
Relevant paid or voluntary work experience in market research, marketing or advertising is advantageous. Some agencies offer vacation placements, which can provide an invaluable insight into the profession and the opportunity to make useful contacts.